The following ingredients are for a basic salad, there are many different combinations you can try, you can use any salad leaves, change the cheese, add different nuts or seeds or add your favourite dressings. When eating salads i like to add a protein source, and some healthy fats, this will make your salad a more well rounded nourishing meal.
- 1 large Rainbow chard leaf
- 3 large mixed variety Kale leaves
- 1 large Chinese cabbage /savoy cabbage leaf
- 1 large sprig of fresh mint
- 1 large sprig of fresh coriander or Parsley
- 1 large tomato sliced
- small handful of finely sliced red cabbage
- 5 green beans sliced (use mandolin if possible)
- handful of flaked almonds
- 50/100g of Feta or cheese of choice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare all recipe ingredients and have close by
- lay the largest leaf from your collection on your chopping board and lay all the ingredients on top, try to keep them all within the large leaf, leaving the tomatoes and almonds till last
- after you have the stacked leaves and herbs, place the tomatoes in a line along the leaves and sprinkle with almonds, then roll the leaves tightly like a cigar, using your fingers to keep everything else inside.
- once you have everything rolled, you can start by slicing the roll finely with a sharp knife, a technique called chiffonade.
- place the sliced salad in a bowl, add the feta, some more flaked almonds, drizzle with your olive oil and lemon dressing and toss, season with S&P
- If you wish to make up the salad for lunches or to have on hand for a side dish, don’t dress or add the tomatoes, as this will make the leaves soggy, and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days, then drizzle and add the feta before you serve.