A simple, fresh and healthy salmon and salad dish, salmon is rich and full of healthy oils, so if this dish is too much and you have left overs, I just flake the salmon with a fork and combine with lettuce leaves, left over carrots, radish, spring onions etc, you can add crunch and sweetness (cranberries, pumpkin seeds)
Serves 2 (leftovers if the fillets are large)
2 Fresh Salmon Fillets
250g Assorted baby carrots (heirloom)
100g baby radish
2 large handfuls of Rocket leaves
1tbs Lemon juice
1tbs Harissa paste
1tbs light ground Cumin seeds
2tbs Olive Oil
Juice and zest of 1 Lemon
tsp Harissa paste (adjust to taste if you like it spicy)
tsp of runny honey (optional)
season with sea salt and pepper
- Take half of the carrots and all the radish and slice finely with a mandolin or using your sharpest knife, place all the slices into an bowl with ice cold water (have this sitting in the fridge with ice cubes) and leave until ready to plate the salad, about 20min. (the finer the slices the better they will curl in the ice bath)
- Take the rest of the carrots, place in a bowl with the olive oil, Harissa paste and cumin seeds and toss to coat, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 30min at 200c or until golden brown.
- while carrots are roasting, season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and pan fry skin side down in a cast iron skillet on a medium heat, 2-3 min, be careful not to burn the skin, then transfer the skillet to the oven and cook with the carrots for the last 10-15 min or until the salmon is cooked to your taste.
- When the salmon and carrots are ready, remove from the oven and cover to keep warm. Drain your sliced carrots and radish from the ice bath and place in a fresh clean bowl, add the rocket leaves, the roasted carrots, drizzle with harissa dressing and gently toss to coat.
- Place the salmon skin side up on clean plate, arrange the rocket and carrots in a stack next to the Salmon, season with sea salt flakes and finish with a coating of the left over harissa dressing.