Serves 2 with leftovers
- 2 Fresh Salmon fillets
- 1 Cup of green lentils (soaked overnight)
- 3 Radish – trio of colours if available
- bunch of coriander
- Spring onion (green onion)
- 1 lemon
For the fennel & caper dressing
- 1 Fennel bulb
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C
- wash pre soaked lentils and place in a pot with enough fresh water to cover the lentils, bring to boil, cover and simmer for approx. 15-20min
- while the lentils are cooking, finely slice the fennel and garlic using a mandoline (fine setting) watching your fingers as you go, place them into a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, add the capers and mix well and put aside.
- still using the mandoline finely slice the radish, using your knife chop the spring onion and the coriander and save for the assemble.
- checking on your lentils to see if they are ok, they should be tender to bite, don’t let them overcook, once done turn off the heat and let stand in the water till ready,
- put an oven proof skillet ( I use a cast iron one) on the stove with knob of ghee, once melted add the salmon fillets skin side down, season with salt and pepper and fry until you start to see the salmon flesh cook just above the skin about 3-4 minutes) then transfer to the oven and bake for 10min.
- once the salmon is cooked to your desired doneness, take out and set aside.
- to prepare the salad, drain the lentils, place into a large bowl, add the radish, chopped coriander, and spring onion and toss to combine, you can add a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of oil if you like.
- to plate up, place the lentil salad onto the plate, then take the salmon and with two forks or your fingers break the salmon into flakes and arrange over the lentils, using your dressing to drizzle over the top, season with salt and pepper, and tuck in.